Daviess County Fair logo

2013 Daviess County Fair

           

 

SPONSORS

Family
Events

Livestock
Events

Baby
Contest

Corn
Hole

Demolition
Derby

Hog
Wrestling

Little Miss
& Mister

Mud Drags

Queen
Pageant

Truck &
Tractor Pulls

About Us

History of the Daviess County Fair

The Daviess County Fair traces its origins back to the Elmore Township Fair, which was first held in 1928.

That first fair, organized under the direction of Albert M. Bishea, vocational agriculture teacher, took place in October. His students were commanded to assist with what was essentially an agriculture street fair.

Bishea appointed students to department chairpersons. They became, in effect, the first fair board. Livestock and other exhibits were scattered throughout the business district in Elnora.

Within a few years, carnival rides had been added and the fair had outgrown its downtown site. After 1932, the fair was relocated to the Elmore Township School grounds and the dates were moved up to September.

The fair dates were changed to August for the 1938 fair and remained that way for the next few years. No fairs were held from 1942-1945 due to World War II.

In 1946, a group of Elnora’s businessmen and farmers formed the Elnora Community Association and purchased 40 acres of land on which the fair is presently held. The Association owns the land and has given the fair a 99-year lease. The 1947 fair was the first held at the current site. The fair became incorporated in 1949 and for the first time was known as the Daviess County Fair. The queen contest also started that year.

The livestock barns, the first major improvements at the new location, were built in 1957 and 1958. The fairgrounds were re-designed in 1962. The arena, which had been located on the east side of the property, traded places with the carnival. New bleachers were put in the arena in 1990.

In the past few years, a new show arena/dairy barn has been built, major electrical improvements have been made and new lights and fence have been added to the arena. New bleachers were added to the arena in 2006.

In recent years, the fair was extended from six days to a nine day event.

Four Daviess County Fair officials have had the honor of serving as president of the Indiana Association of Fairs, Festival and Events: Robert C. Graham, Jr., 1941; I. Ray Humerickhouse, 1957; Wayne T. Ketchem, 1981; and John D. Hasler, 1989.

Past Presidents and Current President of the Daviess County Fair

Curtis Sharpless
Clifford Farris
Harold Dove
Ray Humerickhouse
Vernon Chestnut
Z.M. Harbstreit
John D. Hasler
Martin L. Mumaw III
Ronald W. Ketchem
Robin Dove
John D. Hasler

Inductees into Hall of Fame of Indiana Association of Fairs, Festival and Events

Wayne T. Ketchem
John D. Hasler
Marietta McKee
Leo Vertrees
Martin L. Mumaw III

Honored As A Blue Ribbon Fair by Indiana Association of Fairs, Festival and Events

Years: 1996, 1997, 2001 and 2002